Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Urban Condition



The Urban Condition
Lauren Scott
44"x 48"
oil on canvas


Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner
Lauren Scott
48"x 60"

oil on canvas

The imagery behind my paintings is a conglomeration of personal ideals, values, experiences and icons that hold certain meanings to me and on a variety of levels within societal contexts. The freedom of iconic combinations within the picture plane is arranged to confront the viewer in such a way that conjures more questions than answers. What exactly is going on here and where does this begin to fit together? These references take cues from color, mood, paint application and figural relations which enable me to push the envelope of narrative. There are many occurrences that society takes behavioral indications or perceptions from and through my mind's filter I am constantly transforming these avenues into complex imagery.

Although my paintings carry heavy forms, there remains a painterliness that allows the raw marks to show themselves to the viewer. These marks are proof of decisions in my development and carry a history while confirming the attentiveness to the process in the painting. I have a desire when I work to hold onto my experience through imagery and evident process- to divorce these would divert the dialogue.
There is validity in bringing out specific iconography or happenings that stimulate me to be shared. All this information fuels the world as I know it, the way I developed, and the way I continue to see things.



No comments: